“Pachakam” means cooking in Kerala and Eastern Delites welcomes you to the magnificent world of easy and healthy Indian cooking with a probe into the fascinating Indian cooking recipes. Cooking is not just about making food but is an art of presenting your culinary skills to those who love food with a different flavour and Indian cooking, by no means is an exception.
Below is a recipe on how to make fish curry the “Kerala” way:
- 400 grams fish pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp chopped ginger 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp soaked rice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt To Taste
- Apply salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder to the fish pieces and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Lightly roast cumin and coriander seeds. Mix with dry red chillies, soaked rice and grated coconut.
- Grind it to a smooth paste. Soak tamarind in half a cup of hot water. Heat oil in a pan.
- Add chopped onions and chopped ginger. Cook on a high flame till onions are golden brown. Stir in fish pieces and add 2 cups of water.
- Bring it to a boil. Stir in coconut and spice paste. Mash tamarind dissolved in water to make a pulp.
- Strain and add to the gravy. Simmer for 2 minutes and finish with coconut milk.
- Add fish pieces and cook on a medium flame for 7-8 minutes or till the fish is done.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with basmati rice.